It seems that in despair and hardship it is often quite difficult to distinguish the clouds silver lining. Two people come to mind in the book of Acts. Paul & Silas were in a down time in a down place all while trying to serve Jesus.
It seems that they came around that evening to thank God in song. Which in turn The Lord Jesus shook the foundations physically, and the gaurd on duty spiritually.
What amazes me is why they were excited. They discovered the joy in looking at there plight from God's perspective. He(The Lord) saw they could handle the trial they currently faced (They were stronger than they thought). It was in that they began to be thankful.
Rejoicing comes from taking your circumstances and letting Jesus show you things from His view.
4 comments:
I like this article!
THe picture looks a little wierd?!
I have to agree 100%. Being thankful is a matter of viewpoint. If we truly stop and take the time to count our blessings as you have listed we wouldn’t have room to “want” anything else. By the world’s standards, we here in America live in the land flowing with milk and honey. This of course in no way competes with our heavenly home but at the same time I want ask God to forgive me of my narrow view of His blessings and to thank Him that I was born here. Here where I can go to church and worship God without persecution. Here where I have the opportunity to go abroad in my neighborhood or around the world to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. Here where I can go to the Kitchen faucet or my backyard garden hose and get a drink of water that quenches my thirst and doesn’t give me dysentery.
The list is endless when I really think about it.
Is it really about how I see things? Well I guess I would have to ask my self what I would do if I stood before the Red Sea with Pharos chariots bearing down on me.
1.) Would I stand there in fear complaining about being lead into the dessert to die, or after recounting the previous weeks of miracles would I quietly wait upon the Lord’s deliverance?
2.) While walking through the parted waters would I worry about drowning, or would my crossing be too short because I spent the time marveling at his creation from a different angel?
3.) After safely arriving to the other side and turning to see the destruction of my enemies would I too complain about being hungry and tired, and thirsty?
Thank God for all of your gifts, blessings, and miracles. Thank you God for my wife, my children, and my son in-law. Thank you God for my life as it is right now for I know it is in your hands.
Yes the list does go on and on when we start counting.
God please forgive me that I changed my view of your gifts, and help me to see clearly what you are always doing for me
We do have so many things to be thankful for; Our families, friends, church family and above all, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is the best thing that could happen to anyone in their lives. And I give Him full credit for everything that has happened in our lives.
P.S. Love your blog, Pastor Mike
Post a Comment